The Jacob Humbug spinning project was finished in April. I’ve got about 125g of a 2ply yarn, of somewhat variable thickness. The singles rested for quite a while before plying, so it was quite tricky to figure out how much to ply. The tricks I learned last year at Wingham Wool work rather rely on the singles being still quite full of energy. Anyway, I went ahead and tried to overply it. One skein is completely balanced and one is very slightly… underplied.
I’ve found some useful nails outside the kitchen, under the overhanging roof, for hanging skeins to dry. I have no idea what the nails are actually meant for, but they do the trick. They are sheltered enough that, even if it rains, the skeins still dry.
The two skeins are awaiting inspiration for their final destiny. They might be a little too tough to be worn next to the skin. Possibly a cushion cover or tea-cosy?
Next, in the spinning odyssey, I had a birthday and my generous friends and relations added a little more to my spinning wheel fund. I had a look at my bank account and discovered that I had enough to put in an order with Gill at Sanday Spinners. Here’s what happened next (mouse-over for captions):
I began to spin, using some bright red BFL that I bought from Grace and Jacob while they still had a bricks and mortar shop in York.
I managed to spin a variety of thicknesses, just by changing the tension and speed.
I’m not yet at the point of being able to keep spinning the same thickness for more than a few yards, but getting better each time I try.
I spun up a little onto two bobbins, plied it, washed it and set it to dry. Then I knitted it!
The two bobbins I had spun weren’t evenly loaded, so I had some left over on one of them, but only a few yards. I thought I might as well have a shot at Navajo plying, having seen a few videos of people doing it. Now that’s fun (I didn’t have much control over it)!
The next spinning project is to keep doing a few more samples, aiming for consistency over several yards.
If you remember, I have elected to have spinning as my personal project for a leadership course I’m doing with work this year. The next residential is in a few weeks time so I ought to have made some more progress to show them.