The Suffolk skein is washed and hanging out to dry. Tomorrow I’ll try and figure out how thick it is. Somewhere between DK and worsted I think.
I’ve moved onto some Black Welsh Mountain. The fibre feels a lot harsher than the Suffolk. I’m spinning it quite thin, doing a lot of checking against the sample to try and keep it even. Harder than with a thicker yarn.
I am up to date with my commitment to spin at least 10 minutes for each day that the riders ride, although a couple of times it has carried over into the next day for a double stint when work and family commitments required.
The soft creamy fluff developed first into this:
Then I had a crack at plying it and it became this:
The top bobbin is a normal 2 ply. The bottom one is the leftover, Andean plied.
Apologies for rubbish night time shots.
Did I mention I finished the socks as well?
I’m discovering, with the help of my team mates in team Awesome Already, that the trick to completing projects is actually sitting down and working on them. Who knew?
Day 3: more creamy white wool spun. If you want pictures, look at the day 2 post and imagine a bit more.
The yarn I washed yesterday has come out really very nicely indeed. Despite making a complete guess of how much ply twist to put in, it’s very nearly balanced. It is a very interesting yarn in terms of thickness, being somewhat variable.
Very much enjoying the bicycling on TV. Hurrah for Chris Froome! I read his autobiography last month: fascinating story.
More spinning on the lovely creamy wool, which is from a Suffolk sheep.
Plus I nidded and nodded some yarn which is a blend of Jacob and BFL, Navajo-plied a few weeks ago. I had varying success making rolags in order to practice my long draw. I could do with a few more lessons.
10 minutes complete. Spinning fairly thick singles, aiming for a two ply suitable for a hat.
If the first few months of this year have been all about finishing things up, the last month has… er not. Now back up to 6 unfinished objects.
I have two extra pairs of socks on the needles, both part of Tour de Sock, which I was determined to take part in only as a cheerleader, rather than competing, this year. The stage two pattern was a new technique for me: two colours (which I have done before), but including increases and decreases (this was the new bit).
I was knitting along at my usual snail-like pace, with a new target of hoping to finish them before the end of the Tour (beginning of August), when Otilde showed a picture of a possible combination of yarn and beads for stage four. I made a rash, tongue-in-cheek, comment along the lines of that being a terrible combination and she ought to get rid of them in my direction. The next thing I know, there is a parcel of yarn and beads on the doormat and I am committed to: “cast on with the rest of us when the pattern comes out, and do your level best to finish it before the deadline”.
Day one of the pattern was a day off, so I knuckled down and had this by the end of the day.
Day two was not so productive, but I now have a heel flap and turn.
Day three (today) is for casting on the second sock, (and catching up with work). I’ll be happy if I have two or three repeats of the beading done by the end of the day.
In other news, the Tour de France begins today, so that means that the Tour de Fleece begins too. The premise: the riders ride, we spin. I’m setting myself a beginner target of spinning for 10 minutes per day every day that the riders are active.
I’ve begun to spin some undyed Wensleydale yarn, so that is the first thing to get on with.