The beaded socks are done.
I know there were some queries about the practicalities of beads on socks, but I can’t yet settle the argument one way or another since I haven’t worn the socks out of the house. I’ll let you know.
I’m quite glad to get these finished, since they had been on the needles for a couple of months. My usual rule is only one pair of socks in progress at any one time, but competitive knitting means adding more things into the mix and last week I had 5 socks on the go. Now I am back down to 1, of which more another time.
The rapidity of the WIP completion means that I can start planning my winter knitting. This is what I have in mind:
- A swirl jacket from the book Knit, Swirl. See previous post for a look at the yarn.
- Socks for the husband for Christmas
- Gloves in bright blue Millamia to match, or at least vaguely go with the hat I made 2 years ago
- A Color Affection Shawl – I went through my entire sock yarn stash and picked out a possible selection of yarns, including a (horribly fuzzy) blue with a very long colour repeat that needs very plain knitting to avoid driving me mad trying to read the knitting.
- Catch-up with the When Granny Weatherwax Knits sock club from Knitting Goddess. I subscribed from January to June and I’ve only made 2 of them so far.
- Do some more to my mitred square scarf and maybe even some squares on my big cotton blanket.
I like the cables, but I don’t think I need to match them on the gloves – as long as there are some cables, I think that will be sufficient. Millamia is sport weight, so I did some searching on Ravelry and narrowed the choices down to 3 possibles.
Vintage Buttons Gloves by Ysolda Teague
These have cables, and are very long. I’m not sure whether I would add the buttons all the way up the side. These would also give me the excuse to buy the full book of Whimsical Little Knits 3.
Twisted stitch Gauntlets by Deborah Newton
Twisted stitches, rather than cables, and I’m not sure I like the pattern
Bewitching Hour by Becky Herrick
Can’t decide whether these are too fussy
The gloves I really want to make ask for a DK weight yarn, and I’m not sure whether the Millamia will do:
Fluency Gloves by Silvia Harding
Any ideas? Which are your favourites out of those gloves, and why?
In a few weeks time I will also be looking for suggestions for a scarf or cowl (depending on how much yarn I have left) to go with these.
In order to find the links to all these, I’ve just been looking at my Ravelry queue and discovered many more projects I want to knit, although the order in the queue bears no resemblance to the order I intend to knit them.